When college football in America is considered, recruiting has no stopping. For the class of 2021 recruiting is underway, and even the global pandemic seems to have little impact over it. Recruiting is all about producing 5-Star recruits, and today we will look to analyze which state has produced the highest number of 5-Star recruits in the past. We’ll find out the states that are dominating when it comes to producing some quality 5-Star recruits.
For the class of 2021, there are as many as 27 5-Star recruiting positions up for grabs. This will define the fate of many recruits and most importantly the fate of programs.
Today we will look into the past and try to find out the number of 5-Star recruits we have got from the different states.
Top states in terms of producing the most number of 5-Star prospects:
6. Arizona, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Virginia, and Pennsylvania,
Note: we have made a pool of the states, who aren’t a big contributor to the list, just for the sake of convenience.
Each of these below mentioned 6 states have produced 3 athletes each, let’s have a look at them individually.
- Arizona: to represent Arizona we have Spencer Rattler who is expected to feature as the Oklahoma quarterback. Next up we have Kelee Ringo playing as the cornerback for Georgia and lastly Bijan Robinson as the running back for the Longhorns.
- North Carolina: two of the 3 players selected from North Carolina are linebackers. Namely Trenton Simpson and KJ Henry who plays as a defensive end. Then we have Zamir White in as the running back for Georgia.
- Ohio: first of the produce from Ohio is Paris Johnson Jr. who will be seen at the Offensive tackle position for their home program. Defensive end Zach Harrison will also play for Ohio State. Jackson Carman will be seen in the colors of Clemson as their Offensive tackle.
- Pennsylvania: Penn State has managed to retain 2 of the 3 5-star recruits to them. They will have the services of Julian Fleming, who is the best receiver of 2020 and Micah Parsons, the former linebacker. Alongside these two we have D’Andre Swift moving to Georgia as their new running back.
- South Carolina: things couldn’t have gone more smoothly for South Carolina, all of their three 5-stars have stayed back with them. Jordan Burch the Defensive linemen, Zacch Pickens, and Derion Kendrick at the cornerback position.
- Virginia: While all 3 of the South Carolina products stayed with them, none of the Virginia products stayed back with the state.
The linebacker Brandon Smith alongside Ricky Slade who is a running back moved to Penn State. While Khalan Laborn will play for Florida as a Running back.
5. Alabama, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi
Each of these 4 states has got 4 5-star prospects.
- Alabama: usually we find Alabama retaining their products but this time they managed to retain only the defensive lineman Bryan Ray. Bo Nix, the quarterback, went to Auburn, while George Pickens and Clay Webb went to Georgia.
- Louisiana: they have somehow managed to retain all their four products. They will have the services of the cornerback Derek Stingley Jr, alongside, running back John EmeryJr., the Wide receiver Kayshon Boutte, and finally the wide receiver Terrace Marshall Jr.
- Maryland managed to retain none of their prospects. Chris Braswell and Eyabi Anoma will be seen in the jersey of Alabama. Bryan Bresee went to Clemson, and Chase Young is with Ohio State.
- Mississippi: Jerrion Ealy and Cam Akers, both of the running backs switched flanks and went to Florida State. While Linebacker Nakobe is signed by Georgia, Charles Cross decided to stay with Mississippi State.
- Tennessee: they will have the services Trey Smith, their offensive lineman. Safety JaCoby Stevens will be seen in LSU colors while Tee Higgins is in for Clemson. Cade Mays initially was supposed to play for Georgia but is back to his home state.
While some states struggle to produce 4-5 quality 5-Star recruits, California has produced 14 of them. Starting with the most notable ones, first up we have Alabama star quarterback Bryce Young, next up is the linebacker for Oregon Justin Flowe. DJ Uiagalelei will take the field for Clemson as a quarterback.
Among other notable players are Kayvon Thibodeaux, receiver for USC, Amon-Ra St. Brown. Alabama running back Najee Harris and Ohio State right guard Wyatt Davis.
Among others are JT Daniels, Jaelan Phillips, and Darnay Holmes.
The Longhorns have the onus to produce 17 5-Star recruits in 2017. The list is so long and rich that it’s practically impossible to list them here.
We have Kenyon Green, the offensive lineman who will play for Texas A&M, alongside defensive lineman DeMarvin Leal in 2019. Wide receiver Demond Demas and Jaylon Jones, the defensive back Will too play for Texas A&M. Jordan Whittington, Caden Sterns, and B.J. Foster the two safeties will feature in the Longhorns colors.
Ohio State has picked up quite a many of the Texas prospects with Jeff Okudah, linebacker Baron Browning, Garrett Wilson, and Jaxon Smith-Njigba the wide receivers.
Others in the list are Alabama’s LB Drew Sanders, TCU’s RB Zachary Evans, LSU’s LB Marcel Brooks. Wide Receiver Theo Wease for Oklahoma Stanford’s OT Walker Little and DT Marvin Wilson to Florida.
Apart from being the favorite transfer place, Florida has given 19 prospects.
Florida managed to stick with Defensive tackle Gervin Dexter. Their cornerback Elias Ricks was signed by LSU, Jalen Carter made his way to Georgia. While Demarcus the running back picked Clemson.
Alabama has emerged as the state to bag the most Florida recruits. They got Trey Sanders, as the running back offensive lineman Evan Neal, Patrick Surtain II, the cornerback, and offensive tackle Alex Leatherwood.
Georgia signed Carter, Nolan Smith as the defensive end, and Tyson Campbell as a cornerback. Clemson has got some picks two in Bowman and Xavier Thomas. Miami got the running back Lorenzo Lingard while Florida bagged defensive end Joshua Kaindoh.
they are the number one ranked side and have every possible right to be at the top. They have massive 19 5-Star recruits coming out from the college.
It looks like Bulldogs have an eye on their prospects and are signing a majority of them, they have seven of them to be precise. They have offensive lineman Broderick Jones, Defensive tackle Travon Walker, Justin Fields, Jamaree Salyer the Offensive lineman, Left-back Adam Anderson. They also got the likes of Brenton Cox and S Richard LeCounte.
Clemson has 3 players from Georgia in total with each coming from a different class. They got the defensive end Myles Murphy, Andrew Booth the cornerback and quarterback Trevor Lawrence.
Several others have grabbed a top prospect from Georgia.
2020 saw Arik Gilbert being signed by LSU, and defensive end Will Anderson going to Alabama.
Coming to 2019 we have Jadon Haselwood to the wideout going to Oklahoma, linebacker Owen Pappoe signed by Auburn, Wanya Morris the offensive tackle bagged by Tennessee, and Harry Miller the center going to Ohio.
So this was all about the 5-Star recruits and the states they will represent. There’s quite some knowledge to grasp, so take your time and do tell us how you felt about the article.
Recommended Read: How Can a Quarterback be Selected by College Football Recruiters?